Monday, August 25, 2008

Grace: The Unmerited Gift From God



Kathy updated her family's blog with a post that brought me to tears. It's obvious that they are still struggling, and we all know that they will struggle for a long time to come. It's also obvious that their faith is strong, and I know they are allowing God to work in them & through them. If you haven't seen this yet, please click the link above to read how you can pray for Brian & Kathy's family. Thanks.

--

When my sister & I attended the visitation for Grace, they were all out of cards. My mom brought one to me a few weeks later. I've read it many times, and I still can't read it without crying. It's hanging on our refrigerator, and it will stay there for a long time to come. Grace's picture is my daily reminder to pray for Brian & Kathy's family, and the words inside are my reminder to cherish every moment with Alex.

Everone who reads my blog knows the frustrating moments of parenthood far better than I do.
  • when Alex decides he wants to be clingy all day, and I can't accomplish anything...

  • when he's up multiple times during the night for no apparent reason, and all I want is to get three consecutive hours of sleep...
  • when I'd just like to finish a chore or a project without interruption...

...all I need to do is remember that Alex is an amazing and precious gift from God. We prayed and waited for him for what seemed like a very long time. We are priveleged and blessed to be the parents of this sweet, happy little boy.

As he gets bigger and more challenging in many ways, I'll need the reminder even more: Alex is a gift to be cherished and treasured.

I hope I never forget that, and in those frustrating moments with your own kids, I hope you'll remember it, too.

2 comments:

Kat said...

Thanks for the reminder Dawn! :)

Allison said...

Well said.