Sunday, September 27, 2009

First Bottle


Max had his first bottle on Wednesday night after we got home from church. It was a hectic night, and it was tempting to just skip it...but we'd already put it off a couple of nights because of busy evenings, so we gave him the first bottle.

Once again, Daddy did the honors of giving the first bottle . Actually, he'll probably be doing it almost every night as I get Alex to bed. Max had about 2.5 ounces of milk, but he took it without any trouble. The next night, he had 3.5 ounces of milk, and he did even better than the night before. He's continuing to take about 3 - 3.5 oz in the evening, and he's doing a good job!



Max seems to have a much more "relaxed baby" temperament than Alex did, so I'm guessing he might be good with the bottle. I guess we'll just have to wait and see! If he doesn't continue taking a bottle, I won't be heartbroken & I won't force the issue...I'll just enjoy the sweetness of nursing my baby boy, knowing that it will come to an end all too soon!

For comparison:

Alex was born on December 26th, and he had his first bottle on January 22nd at 4 weeks old.
He stopped taking bottles at around 8 weeks old.

Max was born on August 24th, and he had his first bottle on September 23rd at 4 weeks & 2 days old.




Here's a picture of Alex's first bottle:



3 comments:

Allison said...

Hopefully Max will make it easier for you. I remember you posting how Alex would take a bottle, and then suddently he wouldn't anymore. I pumped a bottle for Natalie daily, and she was fine with it. Ebee had one bottle (as in Tony gave her a bottle 1 time), but then I decided I was too lazy to pump. lol Anyway, I guess time will tell whether Max will cooperate with the bottle thing. Did it go this well in the beginning with Alex too?

MamaDuck76 said...

Yes, Alex did really well in the first week or two. Then, we started giving bottles just a few times a week rather than every day. Oops!

Honestly, I don't care if Max ever takes a bottle. Like you said, pumping every day is not for the lazy! I'll stick with it for Keith's sake, though! :)

Emma Hamstra said...

Bottles = me getting to babysit :)