Saturday, March 6, 2010

Tot School (26 months)

I is for Ice Cream!

February2010 575 
Alex is still enjoying our new magnets for the I is for Ice Cream magnet page from Making Learning Fun.

February2010 489 February2010 492

Ice Cream Cone Game – This ice cream cone pattern is on Making Learning Fun’s website.  Since Alex knows his numbers, but doesn’t practice counting very often, I decided to make it a counting game.  I cut out 6 scoops of ice cream from felt, grabbed a number dice, and we rolled to see how many scoops Alex should put on his cone.  Then he “ate” the cone.  He was annoyed with the counting, but he loved the pretend eating!

February2010 505February2010 509 February2010 503   

Marble Painting – another printout from Making Learning Fun.  We used watered-down finger paint, marbles, and a cake pan to paint our ice cream.  Alex later colored the ice cream cone with a brown crayon, and we hung his finished creation on the fridge.

February2010 527 February2010 531 February2010 534March2010 020

Alex LOVED this book that we found at the library.  We’ve probably read it 3 times a day since we got it.  Not only is it about ice cream, it’s also about different kinds of trucks.  I have a feeling we’ll be checking out this book quite often! (Judging by the price on Amazon, it’s no longer in print?)

I found these Thomas The Train cards at the grocery store, and we used them to match A – I letter magnets with the uppercase letters on the cards.
 February2010 542

Tongs – We’ve finally found tongs that don’t frustrate Alex!  He is in LOVE with his Al-gator tongs!  He happily transferred cotton balls between the bowls for quite a while!
February2010 555 February2010 556

February2010 557

We made ice cream cone cupcakes.  This was a MESSY process, as I tried to let Alex do as much of the work as possible.  The finished product was less than beautiful, but the baking was fun.  (The first picture in this post was Alex with a finished cupcake.)

 February2010 559 February2010 560 February2010 567 February2010 571

Putting up our leprechaun window clings.  He kept calling the leprechauns “Santa Claus”.  When he does get it right, he calls them “Fepperconns”.

February2010 493

Stirring the yeast & water for homemade bread.February2010 497

We’re planning to finish out our week with real ice cream on Saturday night!  Yum!

To see what other tots are doing, check out:

Tot School

12 comments:

Allison said...

It looks like Scott Santoro is looking for a new publisher for it. Here is his website: http://www.scottsantoro.com/

It looks like it was published by Henry Holt, Inc. initially. I found it on the Macmillan website: http://us.macmillan.com/isaactheicecreamtruck. It had an option to click buy, and then it took me to the page I listed above without an option to put it in a cart. Maybe try calling Macmillan to see if you can buy it somehow for less than a $1,000. :-)

Temeculamom said...

I would like to come over and make ice cream cupcakes! So would Sophia! And we are not even tots! It looks like a lot of fun at your house!!

sbswtp said...

I love the ice cream felt activity!

Cindy said...

Looks like a fun week! The cupcakes look yummy!

Stefanie said...

I love everything!! His painting came out so nice.

And thanks for sharing your tong find. We haven't been able to find any that our tot can use.

Rebecca said...

I love the ice cream marble painting! I havent done a marble painting in so long and i should do one soon.

Erica said...

What a fun theme. This is one I will have to add to our list. My little one also loves the "alligator" tongs. They are great!

Theresa Mezo said...

Your "I" week is so awesome!
I love your felt ice cream cones, and cupcakes.. wish I would have thought of that!
Cant' wait to check out more of your blog, thanks for sharing!:)

indiechick said...

Those are the cutest activities ive ever seen!! very very cute and he looked like he enjoyed everything!

Anonymous said...

What a fun week! I love the marble painting on the ice cream!

Madonna said...

I loved your ice cream theme! I saved it to my Evernote because I think it would be so much fun to do some an ice cream theme this summer!

Kat said...

"I" enjoyed the ice cream cupcakes!!!! ;)

And marble painting was one of my favorite activities while teaching...I think I will have to do it with Sami one of these days!!!!