Thursday, September 12, 2013

First Day of Homeschool Co-op

The boys were up before me, excited for the new day!   We were ready with only a few minutes to spare, so I quickly had the kids throw on their backpacks to grab some first day pictures.  (These were literally taken in less than 2 minutes – no posing, no retakes, just whatever we could get in a brief moment.)

IMG_0262

Co-op meets once a week for 12 weeks from September – early December and then meets again for another 12 weeks from January – April.  We have to be out the door by 7:45 am in order to allow enough time for driving and traffic, which is a totally new thing for me…getting all 3 kids out the door with lunches, backpacks, diaper bags, and my teaching supplies ready to go.  It’s definitely trying my organizational skills! :)

IMG_0261

Opening time begins at 8:45, and classes go from 9 am – 12:30 pm with lunchtime afterwards.  There are four class periods.  Alex is doing zoo animals, gym, story hour & crafts, and science with children’s literature.  (For the first 6 weeks, I am teaching a Five Senses class.)

IMG_0265

The preschoolers (Max included) have gym, learning hour (with a weekly shape, letter, number, and color), craft hour (with a craft that goes along with the letter of the week), and music hour.  Most of their learning time ends before the 45 minute class period is over, so they can use their free time to play with Thomas trains, giant cardboard blocks, and other fun toys.  I’m currently co-teaching the preschool craft hour.

IMG_0263

Jensyn is in the nursery, which is right next door to the preschool room, with a door connecting the two rooms.  I spend one hour in nursery with her, and then the 2 yr olds are invited to join the preschoolers for craft hour…which means that I have both her and Max during that hour.

IMG_0264

Each mom participates in a small group prayer hour, as well.  I really enjoyed getting to know the 5 ladies in my small group.  So I am in a prayer group during the first hour, nursery for second hour, preschool for third hour, and teaching Alex’s K/1 science class during the fourth hour.

We all REALLY enjoyed our first day!  Alex was too intimidated to play kickball in gym class, but otherwise had a LOT of fun!  Max fully enjoyed new friends, new toys, and new lessons.  Jensyn had a good time admiring all the babies in the nursery, and she is very proud of her apple tree craft.

I think it’s going to be a great semester for our family!!

No comments: